Eureka!
It has nothing to do with Girl's abilities as a toddler. I know she can do it. She will do it when she's ready, just like everything else.
Every task I have ever thrown at her, has been handled the best way she knows how.
Some examples:
- She gave up the bottle at 8 months old. Just woke up one day and wouldn't take the bottle. She wanted a cup with a straw.
- She gave up the binkie just around the same time as the bottle. Just stopped using it.
- With all of her social anxieties as a baby and small toddler, she is blooming like the flower that I know she can be. She is talkative and more social than ever. She is smart and sassy and brave and when she wants something bad enough. She gets it...even if it's not from me.
- She talks to her teacher and her friends more, she is open and clearly enjoying herself at school. She's not as shy as I once thought.
- She can enjoy parties and loud places better than ever and she even sat through Diego without much incident.
This kid rocks.
It's me with the issues. (Sorry to be such a downer lately...)
I find myself doing too much for her including dressing her...because it's just faster.
Why wait for her to dress herself and start earlier in the day when I can get 20 more minutes of sleep time and dress her quickly myself?
brain says: Stupid.
...It's because I am helping her gain self-confidence and independence...
brain says: Stupid.
...If she gains those things too quickly, she won't need me anymore...
brain says: Stupid.
These days I am just finding it difficult to let go. I feel like losing her too fast would again make me feel that deep pain of loss I already feel on a daily basis. But for her. And I can't do that. That's too much pressure to place on such a small person.
Do you realize she has never been in anyone's car other than my own and my husband's? I won't allow her own family drive her anywhere. I won't allow her to sleep anywhere but home and I won't allow her to go anywhere without me or my husband.
I'm an official helicopter mom. I hover.
Even at the park I follow her around.
I never thought I would be, but I am. It just happens.
I gotta getta grip.
Mista says that when I'm not around she's a different kid. She's outgoing and uninhibited. I see her that way too...but he claims even more so. He took her to a friend's house recently where I have never seen her go into the basement to play with the kids. They went without me. (I musta been partying it up on the boulevard somewhere.) He says she went right into the basement and he only saw her again when it was time to leave. Where she proceeded to KISS everyone G'bye. Including the KIDS...What the? Not with me she doesn't do that.
And it's not like I don't tell her to do those things either. I force her to play and kiss and shit. Jesus. I can't stand it.
I have to
She is so eager to please and will do (almost) anything I ask her to. And she is really eager to be independent..But when she knows I'll do it for her, she gives up. That's a terrible trait to have taught my daughter. And I did that. Hence, potty issue #4,367.
And I am so proud when she is independent and strong. But. I feel her slipping away. Ever so slowly...its happening. But. I need to know that she will always be my heart and my daughter. And I will always be her mother.
Otherwise I am going to stunt her. Just like I am stunted today. I am not fully 'grown up' for many reasons but when my mother passed, I died a little too...I lost a lot of my teenage years due to blinding greif. And if I was allowed to be just slightly more independent as a kid, I may have handled my grief differently.
I can't allow myself to do that to the only person I let live in my heart. I can't hold her back any longer.
I need to let her be.
Or she will leave me because I smother her.
Maybe then, she'll start using that potty.
I'll think about her teenage years when I get to that bridge...
________________________________
I know why the caged bird sings:
A free bird leaps on the back of the wind
and floats downstream till the current ends
and dips his wing in the orange suns rays and dares to claim the sky.
But a bird that stalks down his narrow cage
can seldom see through his bars of rage
his wings are clipped and his feet are tied so he opens his throat to sing.
The caged bird sings with a fearful trill
of things unknown but longed for still
and his tune is heard on the distant hill
for the caged bird sings of freedom.
The free bird thinks of another breeze
and the trade winds soft through the sighing trees
and the fat worms waiting on a dawn-bright lawn and he names the sky his own.
But a caged bird stands on the grave of dreams
his shadow shouts on a nightmare scream
his wings are clipped and his feet are tied so he opens his throat to sing.
The caged bird sings with a fearful trill
of things unknown but longed for still
and his tune is heard on the distant hill
for the caged bird sings of freedom.
*******************************************************************
*And on to a much lighter topic*
Last night, my best bud/step sister (Hey A!) came in from Virginia and we took pictures of our cleavage and other obscure body parts on our cell phones and use them for photo iD's when we call each other now...
Talk about deep. Right?
No, you will NOT see those posted up here.
*******************************************************************
22 comments:
Great post. It is hard to let go.
Don't be so hard on yourself...it is so hard to let them be independent, but so rewarding when you realize that you can enjoy them more because it's not all on you anymore. That being said, I would still be dressing my six year old, because it's just easier!!! My husband has always been the trail blazer in the independence department.
I think you should have another baby. Number two forces you to let a lot of stuff go...you will do things with the second you never dreamed of with the first.
I can completely relate to this post! I am infamous for being a "babier". It is so hard to let go of being needed, even when that constant need drives you crazy! I think it is good that you are realizing this need. She really sounds like an amazing kid! I have no doubts that NOBODY is going to railroad this kid....she is just not gonna have it! :)
As for her being different when she is not around you....that is completely normal!
I think you sound like an amazing mom! We all struggle with self doubt and guilt....I mean, we are women! :)
PS: I voted for you on both!
Good outlook on things. She will do it when she chooses to and when he wants to. It will come. I have sent in a vote for you...congrats on the nomination...that would have been a nice surprise.
AWWW it is hard... no one wants their baby to grow up.
You are doing a find job as a mom. You will learn to let go. It will all work out
And I just voted for ya!!!
You rock, Janet!
Great post!
Are you sure you don't want to share the pics?
Congrats on the nods!
Good post! I know those feelings well!
It just occurred to me.....maybe the girls are starting to feel that independance, but when they're with us, they feel like the little girls that they are and still want that security from us. Maybe that's why they act the way they do with us, and differently with others....maybe they don't want to let go either.
Everything will be fine. She will be fine, and you will be fine. I'm sure it's rough, but she will always need her mother. Remember that.
No fair talking about taking cleavage pictures and then not posting them. I mean, this is twice now. Remember the post where your husband asked if your award was for nicest tits?
being a parent must be hard. being childless, you know I have no good advice.
You are so right...it is hard to let go.
This whole parenting thing is so darn hard, huh? I know how you feel. Those preschool years are hard because you are transitioning from doing everything for them to independence. And yeah, I know about not wanting to let go.
It's always hard to let go, whether they're 3 or 23, it's still hard. They're people, just like us, it just takes awhile to realize this. I'm thinking maybe 30 or 40 years, but I might be optimistic. Glad you had an epiphany.
Janet, you're awesome. You fucking rock, actually. Your self-contemplation and awareness is self-accountability is going to (and does) serve you and your family well.
In a society where we're encouraged to blame others for our predictaments, you're taking responsibility for your own actions. And that's cool. Extremely cool.
I'm still trying to figure out the balance, as are we are. You are figuring out important things early on, which will make all the difference later on. She is blessed to have a mama who is so involved in her life and well-being!
From what I hear, be it school, therapist or friend, as soon as mum is out of the picture, it's always a different side of the child on display.
Makes me quite want to be a fly on that wall.
Best wishes
Really good post. I've always been a hovering mom myself, but relaxed a bit more with each subsequent child, lol.
Mine are 6,14 and 15-1/2.. I still don't leave the older two at home alone, but that's mainly because I fear for the safety of my house. :D
It's hard to let them be independent, but when you do.. it's really cool to see what they do with it. I honestly think that no matter how much we want to keep them little, each year they age it just gets better and better.
Congratulations on the award, you totally deserve the Hot Mom award :)
And I know why I'm scared of potty training. Because I hate poop. Completely. And potty training means dealing with poop and lots of accidents. Yuck. I'm pretty simple I'm afraid.
Take your time and follow your heart...
it is always on the mark...
She is but a toddler... It does not matter that she has not slept somewhere else... It does not matter that she has not been driven somewhere else by a family member...
You are beating yourself up... and for no reason... She is a toddler and you are doing a great, great job...
All the other stuff will come in time... And it will when you are ready for it... and she is as well...
That was a great read! The only thing I can offer is this: My mom is my best friend and has been for a very long time... She and I are very close and she still struggles a little to let go. And that is OK with me. I still struggle to let go of her at times. So there is a happy medium in there somewhere. Even letting go a little bit will be OK for both of you... I hope the idea of a happy medium or compromise might be a helpful one for you...
Thanks for your comments! I couldn't get over here fast enough to see the potty training posts :) A little bit of solidarity goes a long way lol!
My daughter is beyond independent - she rarely gives me the opportunity to do things for her - it's always 'I DO IT'! and in our case a lot of the time, it's just easier (on her, and on my ears) if I just let her get on with it. This is part of the reason why the lack of progress in potty training is so frustrating for me - she's so accomplished at everything else I just thought this would be the same - BOY was I wrong :)
Post a Comment